Results just in, and surprising they are too !
Worst offender for “cheating” and sending internal emails was only running at 6 emails per day, which is a lot less than I expected.
Feedback from the team and personal observations:
- Design and Support Teams – more able to focus more on work as not constantly interrupted by email that needs responses
- Development Team – less able to focus on work as people kept coming and asking questions
- Spirit and community in the company much better
- No need to sit and go through emails every morning before starting work
- More understanding and ownership / responsibility for issues when they are passed verbally
- Much better camaraderie between departments
- Particularly interesting, this one: people picking the ‘phone up a lot more to folks NOT in the office (i.e. customers and remote workers, instead of using email, too)
Generally, and somewhat surprisingly, a resounding success !!
Unanimous decision made (outwardly at least) to continue for another week or two and see what happens. Not a single hand went up for going back to email communication !
I was honestly expecting a bit of a failure and thought twice about putting my original post on here in case we looked like idiots a week later. Instead, it feels like, for the moment at least, we’ve broken a bad habit that has had more of an effect on us than just internal email.